Updating Your Social Security Card

All documents you bring to Social Security need to be originals, or copies certified by the issuing agency. You can find the nearest SSA office at the Social Security website.

Paperwork needed:

  1. Fill out a Form SS-5 (download it here), “Application for a Social Security Card.” (This form is also available at SSA office)
  2. Proof of legal name change: A legal name change document, such as a court ordered name change or marriage certificate (if you changed your name through marriage). The document must have the old name and new name listed on it. If it does not have enough identifying information, SSA will request an identity document in your prior name and another in your new legal name in addition to the name change document. (Massachusetts-issued court-ordered name changes will list both old and new name.)
  3. If you were born outside of the U.S., you also need to prove your U.S. citizenship or current lawful, work-authorized immigration status.
  4. If you are a U.S. citizen and have not previously established citizenship with SSA, you will need to present a birth certificate, U.S. passport, or other proof of citizenship.

Your name in employment personnel records should match the name on your Social Security card until you receive the revised card.

There is no fee associated with obtaining a Social Security Card.