Legal Name

Through the name change process, MTPC suggests you follow this order:

  1. Obtain a Legal Court Order. You will need this to perform any legal name change actions.
  2. Change your name with the Social Security Administration.
  3. Change your name on your Massachusetts License/ID at the Registry of Motor Vehicles.
  4. Unless you need to travel immediately, change your name on your passport after the SSA and RMV.
  5. Since a birth certificate is the least-needed federal document used to prove identity, we suggest changing your birth certificate last. You must also change your gender marker at the same time (more information can be found on the Change Your Gender Marker page).