State ID

Massachusetts Driver’s License/State ID Card

To change the gender marker on your state issued identification, you need to submit a Change of Information Application together with a Gender Designation Change Form, signed by you and a medical provider attesting to the gender that you consider yourself to be. The medical provider should be a licensed physician, therapist or counselor, or psychiatric social worker. A copy of the Gender Designation Change Form is available from MTPC or at the Registry of Motor Vehicles.

You are no longer required to submit medical proof of sex reassignment surgery or an amended birth certificate. The next edition of the Registry of Motor Vehicles Driver’s Manual will reflect the new policy.

If your current state issued identification/license has a name you do not use anymore or has not been updated since you have legally changed your name, you must also bring your court ordered name change document.

Amending an I.D./License will cost $25.00. If you do not have an I.D./License yet, applying for a new license will cost $50.00.