Gender Marker

Your gender marker is the part of your ID card that specifies your ‘sex’ (male or female). Many transgender people choose to change their gender marker on some or all of their IDs to better reflect their gender identity. There are many different forms of state and federal IDs (like passports, driver’s licenses, and birth certificates).

The process for changing your gender marker depends on which ID you are trying to change. Please note that changing your gender marker for one ID will not change the gender marker on a different form of ID. For example, changing the gender marker on your driver’s license does not automatically change the gender marker on your birth certificate. Therefore, you will have to go through a separate process for each ID you want and/or need to change.

If a care professional (doctor, therapist, etc.) needs to sign a form, have them sign in blue ink.